iPhone Symbols – What The Hell Do They Mean?

by John Carroll on November 7, 2012

Sneakers - WhistlerIf you own an iPhone, chances are you’ve seen a weird shape or a strange symbol on the display.

What do these things mean?

The answer is on the list below. If it’s not on the list… you’re probably holding an Android phone.

iPhone Status Icons

These pages are reproduced from Apples iPhone Users Guide.

No Problem Mac - 310-621-5679 Blog Ad

If you have questions or need Mac, iPhone or iPad help call No Problem Mac at 310-621-5679.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Dee August 27, 2015 at 8:02 am

What does a quarter moon and a clock type symbol mean when they are next to a text I received on my iPhone 5?

John Carroll 2 John Carroll August 27, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Go to Settings and tap Do Not Disturb. You probably have this checked ON for a scheduled period of time. Just turn them off and the symbols will disappear.

3 Vicky Powell July 13, 2015 at 12:05 am

How do I unlock portrait orientation?

John Carroll 4 John Carroll July 13, 2015 at 12:08 am

Hi Vicky – Swipe the tool menu up from the bottom of the screen. Tap the lock icon. – John

5 Mary January 5, 2015 at 4:27 am

What is a TTY machine and how do I get the symbol off my iPhone?

John Carroll 6 John Carroll January 5, 2015 at 4:45 am

TTY stands for teletypewriter and is used for communication over a telephone line, that is designed for use by persons with hearing or speech difficulties.

To turn it off, tap Settings > Phone and slide the TTY switch to the Off position.

7 Sandy November 29, 2014 at 6:01 am

I just got the iPhone 6 plus, today and I’m trying to learn it ( I’m slow, sorry ) can you please tell me what the ❤️ Symbol means. So far I’ve only seen it in my pictures

Sandy

John Carroll 8 John Carroll November 29, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Tap the heart symbol to make a photo a favorite. The first time you do this, a favorites album is created. After that, any image you mark as a favorite can be found in that album.

9 Amanda July 13, 2014 at 2:15 am

My phone is on the portrait orantation. I can’t get it off can someone please help me.

John Carroll 10 John Carroll July 13, 2014 at 2:36 am

Hi Amanda – If your phone is running iOS 7… swipe up from the bottom of the screen and a translucent window will appear that lets you turn on and off many settings.
Look to the top right hand side where you’ll see a button with the icon of a lock with a circular arrow around it. This is the screen lock icon. It’s white when engaged. Tap it to release and the button will go back to black. Hope this helps – John

11 Nicholas June 23, 2014 at 7:06 am

Finally the whole list. thank you for iphone symbols

12 mary January 17, 2014 at 7:47 am

I have a blue circle with a slanted line through it next to a contact what does that mean?

John Carroll 13 John Carroll January 17, 2014 at 11:41 am

Is this on a Mac, iPhone or iPad… and what operating system is running?

14 tony November 18, 2013 at 8:08 am

how do o turn off the portrait orientation ?

John Carroll 15 John Carroll November 18, 2013 at 8:15 am

Hi Tony – To unlock orientation, swipe up from the home screen to get the settings pane.Tap the last icon on the far-right that looks like a lock inside a circular arrow. Swipe down to get out of the settings pane. – John