You Just Dropped Your iPhone 5 In The Toilet. What Next?

by John Carroll on December 3, 2012

iPhone 5 in Water

It’s already happened… so stop agonizing over how you could have stopped it. In two-weeks this will be a terrific story you can tell people at parties.

A few quick safety tips:

• As your iPhone is dripping wet… don’t try to use it to call anyone for help.
  • This is not a good time to attempt a backup.
  • I doesn’t matter if the phone has only a few minutes of talk time left. Stay away from electrical outlets.

I’d also advise not telling anyone who doesn’t own an iPhone 5. People with an iPhone 4S or lower will show little empathy for your plight.

So… what can you do?

1. Power the iPhone off. Hold down the power button until you see the red slide to power off slider.
  2. If the phone is in a case… take it out. If it has a dust shield that’s easy to remove, take that off too.
  3. Standing over the bath, shake as much water from the phone as you can.
  4. Dry off your phone with a towel. Lint free if possible.
  5. If you have a cotton bud, do your best to mop any water from the headphone and charging port.
  6. Fill a sealable plastic bag or Tupperware container with plain, uncooked rice. Avoid enriched rice as it leaves a residue.
  7. Add the iPhone. Completely cover it with rice.
  8. Seal the bag or container.

It’s okay to put the bowl in a room that’s warm, but do not put it in the oven, use a hair-dryer, or apply an acetylene torch. To much heat will ruin your phone.

It will take 24 to 48 hours for the rice to draw out all the moisture. When the time is up, try to power your phone back on. Just hold down the power button until you get a white apple and it starts to boot up.

If all goes well, your phone will work.

If your phone won’t power up, you’ll need to get it repaired, but take some solace in the fact that you’ve done all the right things to minimize water damage.

Oh… and don’t forget to throw out the rice.

Update

If you do need to replace your iPhone, you should be aware of Apple’s Out-Of-Warranty service.

Apple considers “liquid damage” to be outside the terms of their warranty, but may, at their discretion, provide Out-Of-Warranty coverage.

They will replace your iPhone with a refurbished iPhone at the prices listed below:

• iPhone 5 – $269.00
  • iPhone 4S – $199.00
  • iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G and original iPhone – $149.00

This does not include shipping costs and any other applicable taxes. For more information, click the Warranty and Service button on this page.

Thank you for all your comments.

I’m happy to answer your questions, but unfortunately I can’t predict based on a given set of circumstances if a water damaged iPhone will work again.

Your best bet is to bring your iPhone to Apple or an Apple certified third-party repair center and let them take a look at it.

No Problem Mac - 310-621-5679 Blog Ad

If you have questions or need Mac, iPhone or iPad help, support, service or repair call No Problem Mac at 310-621-5679.

Looking for a unique holiday gift? – Give a Gift Certificate from No Problem Mac.

{ 315 comments… read them below or add one }

Elizabeth April 19, 2014 at 7:59 am

Hey! I dropped my iphone in a bucket of water and soap while I was cleaning my windows, and I immediately took it out, then rushed to dry it and covered it with rice, but then took it off to dry it with a blow dryer, to then find out that;s a bad idea then put it back into the rice for a day and half and well, I thank god it works but now it has a water splash stain inside the screen… :( Is there a way to fix that? Thank you in advanced!

John Carroll John Carroll April 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm

The answer is Yes… but it would cost as much if you had a third-party store repair it. So why not have them take care of it. You can avoid trying to find the correct kit from an honest seller on Ebay and then having to locate and follow a pretty complex set of instructions. – John

maryam April 17, 2014 at 2:23 pm

hi i dropped my iphone in the toilet when i got it out it was turned off with led light on i put it in rice do u think it will work

John Carroll John Carroll April 18, 2014 at 5:11 am

Sorry Maryam. I’m in LA and can’t tell from here. I’m sending good vibes and hoping for the best. – John

Mollie April 16, 2014 at 4:11 am

Hi,
I dropped my iPhone 5c in the toilet today at school around 3:30 and I fished it out after about 4 seconds. I then started to shake it and get water out while I checked the screen to see what damage was done. Almost the whole screen was full with water so I ran to the library where my friends were and I didn’t know that I was supposed to turn it off so we tried sucking the water out and I tried to open a bunch of apps and I tried to call my mom, and now I know that I shouldn’t have done any of this. It was on for about 20 mins before I could get any rice….I got rice, put it in, and then 10 minutes later someone told me that I should turn it off so I did. It has been in the rice since and I plan for it to be in there for 48 hours. Any suggestions or comments as of now?

Mollie April 16, 2014 at 4:16 am

And I will clarify that all of the touch screen was working for the total time after I dropped it in

Mollie April 16, 2014 at 4:20 am

And another thing – even though the touch was working the screen would become very shaky and the the whole screen would start moving up to where I could see the top bar at the bottom of the screen. Whenever I had it on for more than 10ish seconds the screen would get very shaky and eventually die off, but I would be able to keep unlocking it and using it.

John Carroll John Carroll April 16, 2014 at 5:52 am

Hi Mollie – There’s nothing more that you can do thatI’m aware of. So far all the signs are positive. Fingers crossed, it will be okay – John

Mollie April 18, 2014 at 7:45 am

Hi John! I took my phone out of the rice today and it is almost 100% functional! There are a couple spots under the screen that were damaged by the water, and sometimes it has trouble charging, but besides that it works fine! Your forum and advice here definitely helped me keep it alive. thanks!

Lizzy April 10, 2014 at 1:46 am

So I dropped my phone in the toilet last night. It was probably in there for 2 or 3 seconds at the most. I took it out, shook it lightly and then dried it with a towel quite quickly. I immediately went downstairs and put it in a box of rice overnight. I got home from school today, took it out of the rice and turned it on. The apple logo was up for a little while, but when it finally booted up, the screen was completely red. It was like that for about 5-10 minutes until the phone lost battery and turned off. It’s now back in the rice and I’m hoping that it’ll work again soon. I’m going on a cruise this weekend and I want to have it so I can take pictures :( do you think there’s ANY hope that’ll it’ll work by putting it back in rice? I really am scared to tell my dad because I doubt he’ll get me a new one.

John Carroll John Carroll April 10, 2014 at 2:18 am

Sorry Lizzy, but there’s no way for me to know. On the plus side your doing all you can to try and fix it. Look at the “Update” section above for information on Apple’s Out of Warranty replacement program. Things may not be as bad as they seem. Good luck – John

Lizzy April 10, 2014 at 2:35 am

Thank you very much :) I have a few more questions, sorry to bother. But if apple were to replace my iPhone, would I for sure get a refurbished one or is it possible that I could get a new or fairly new one? And how much would that cost?

John Carroll John Carroll April 10, 2014 at 5:39 am

Hi Lizzy – I’m pretty sure it would be refurbished, but Apple have high standards and I haven’t seen any that didn’t look perfect. With the Outside Of Warranty program, you don’t get to choose if the phone is new, refurbished, etc,., The cost should be above in the Update section. Or call an Apple store and ask for a price. – John

S April 9, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Hi John,

I dropped my iPhone 5 in the toilet. In my drunken state, I let it sit there for quite a while before fishing it out, rinsing it off, and shaking it a bit. I then proceeded to turn it on and text a few times before falling asleep.

It was only in the morning did I fully comprehend what happened and got it in a bag of rice. After 48 hours, I am charging it, but the apple logo blinks on and off. Is my iPhone 5 a complete loss? (A year and a half with Verizon, no insurance.)

John Carroll John Carroll April 9, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Hi S – There’s no way anyone could tell from the description. You need to take it to a 3rd party repair store to get an estimation of the damage. – John
Also – Do not try to charge it. With the description you give it may have serious damage and it is definitely not safe to plug into an electric outlet.

Greg April 9, 2014 at 7:19 am

Hi John,
I dropped my iPhone 5s in the toilet took it out quickly and it still worked. I had full function of the iPhone. After about an hour I plugged it in to charge. No problems. Made a few phone calls, checked email ect. Still fully functional. I finally put it in rice as a precautionary measure. It was 3 hrs before I did so. Oh and I turned it off before putting it in the rice. I plan on leaving it there for 24hrs. This is going to sound funny but I’m concerned because there was no issues. No harm, no foul?

John Carroll John Carroll April 9, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Hi Greg – There’s no way to predict the outcome, but it sounds like you might be okay. – John

kim April 8, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Hi, I dropped my phone into the toilet and then tried shaking the water out. I then left it in a rice bag for about a week. The phone charges and turns on, but the network keeps searching, the screen is unresponsive and has the wrong date on the screen. What do you suggest?

John Carroll John Carroll April 9, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Hi Kim – At this point, you have to take it to Apple or a 3rd party repair center. The problems you are describing are not every day issues that can be resolved by a software fix.- John

Natalie April 8, 2014 at 3:07 am

I dropped my Iphone 4 in the toilet at a friends house and i immediately took it out and dried it along with putting it in rice for 5 days now and i tried to turn it on and charge it, but the screen would not turn on and after 20mins of charging, it felt hot but the i know its still working because the vibrate button works, so how do i get the screen to work? Should i leave it in a bit longer to charge? Please help!!! :((

John Carroll John Carroll April 8, 2014 at 7:14 am

Hi Natalee – There’s no point in putting it back in the rice and charging it could be dangerous. Take it to a third party repair facility and get their opinion on whether or not it can be repaired. – John

LH March 27, 2014 at 3:58 am

Hi, I accidentally left my iPhone 5 in a wet spot (dumb, I know.) and it was there for at least 5 minutes. I dried it off immediately and put it in rice. After waiting about 7 hours, I turned it on and the white Apple logo screen showed up, but with what seemed to be dark grey spots caused by the water. The sounds and Siri still work, no black screen or anything, but the touch screen is unresponsive. When I try to swipe, it only moves a little bit. I’ve since put it back in the rice and will wait a few more days. Is it worth it to try or is my phone a lost cause?

John Carroll John Carroll March 28, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Hi LH – Considering how expensive the phones are, it’s worth a try. There’s no way to know the phone is a lost cause unless a technician examined it and gave you an honest answer. – John

Betsy April 7, 2014 at 6:56 pm

The same thing happened to me, screen is unresponsive but phone turns on. How did it work out for yours?

Nina March 22, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Hi!
My one year old dropped my iPhone in a glass of water. Put it in rice for 48 hours, turned it on and it lights up with the apple logo but that’s as far as it goes. Any advice or is it fried?
Thanks!
Nina

John Carroll John Carroll March 23, 2014 at 12:55 am

Hi Nina – There’s no way for me to know. It’s still working to some degree so it may be worn taking to a third party repair service so someone experienced can take a look at it. – John

Faza March 18, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Hey John,

I dropped my iPhone 5s into the toilet and dried it off for 2 hours before bringing it to the apple service. They asked me to do the rice method and I tried it immediately afterwards. I need to keep it in a week preferably but one thing that curious my mind, is it okay if i put it inside of container instead of ziplock? and do i need to wrap my phone with paper towel when it is submerged into the rice?

John Carroll John Carroll March 18, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Hi Faza – No need to wrap it in a paper towel. Just make sure any ports are free of stray pieces of rice before you try using it. I can’t see anything wrong with using a container. Good luck. Let me know how it works out. – John

Ryan March 18, 2014 at 6:50 am

John,

My daughter dropped my Iphone 5 in the toilet this afternoon. She handed it to me soaking wet so I quickly dried it off. Not having any rice available, I had to go to a store to buy some. It was about 20 minutes from the time of the accident until I was able to submerge it in rice. However, the phone would not turn off and stayed on a black screen. So- as far as I know, I had to put the phone in rice still turned on. It has been in the bag of rice for about three hours. Will I need to leave it in there for a day or so? Do I need to check to see if I’d be able to turn it off at any time? Thanks!

John Carroll John Carroll March 18, 2014 at 7:05 am

Hi Ryan – I wouldn’t touch the phone at this point. Leave it in the rice for at least 24 hrs and then try it out. – John

NM March 5, 2014 at 1:59 pm

hey John!
i dropped my iphone in the toilet yesterday and took it out after about 10 secs then put it in a bag of rice. its been there for about 14 hours. should i change the rice every now and then?

John Carroll John Carroll March 5, 2014 at 2:05 pm

You shouldn’t need to, but it’s a good idea and it can’t hurt. Just resist the temptation to turn on the phone when you take it out. – John

NM March 5, 2014 at 4:21 pm

actually i opened it like 5 times till now. would that hurt?

John Carroll John Carroll March 5, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I wouldn’t think so. As long as you don’t turn on the phone during the process. Obviously this isn’t an exact science, but you want to keep the odds in your favor. – John

Tara February 27, 2014 at 1:33 am

I had my phone in my back pocket and I went to go to the bathroom and it fell in the toilet. I took it out immediately and it was working fine. I dried it out with paper towels and then my teacher gave me a bag of beans to put it in. 90 minutes later I’m using it to type this and the only problem is two spots on the screen one white and one blue. I removed the case and screen protector immediately after it was submerged. Everything works fine.Should I still put in rice as a precaution?

John Carroll John Carroll February 27, 2014 at 1:37 am

Hi Tara – I would as the marks appear to indicate there is still some moisture in the phone = John

Kristin February 25, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I dropped my iPhone 5 in the toilet two nights ago. I turned it off immediately and removed the case. I was out, so I left it in my purse until I returned home later that night, then kept it in rice all night long. The next day I turned it on, and everything seemed to be working perfectly! Later that day, I realized the camera wasn’t working. Which I use ALL the time. Is there any way that I can repair the camera without replacing the phone? I have an upgrade with Verizon, but I would have to change my whole data plan, which I have somehow been able to stay grandfathered into the unlimited data plan, until now when I tried to upgrade, and then stopped. Please help!

John Carroll John Carroll February 26, 2014 at 3:41 am

Hi Kristin – in this situation, to the best of my knowledge, Apple won’t replace a single component due to water damage. Try to find an Apple Authorized third – party repair shop in your area. Call and ask if they’ll do it, or if they know someone who can. – John

Rachel February 14, 2014 at 11:27 am

I dropped my phone into water and immediately I scooped it out. I dried it off and finished a text to someone (only later did I find out what a bad thing that is to do) and it shut off. I put it in a bag of rice and checked about 12 hours later on it by plugging it in and turning it on (mistakes number 2 and 3) and the phone started getting really hot so I turned it off and put it back in the bag. However, the phone isn’t turning off. The Apple logo pops up and weird text shows up at the top of the screen. How long do you advise I wait until next checking on my phone/does it sound like it may be ruined by now? Thank you very much in advance!

John Carroll John Carroll February 15, 2014 at 8:50 am

Hi Rachel – You can check the phone again, but don’t plug it in. It may be damaged and be dangerous to handle. If it doesn’t clearly work perfectly, I’d let Apple or a third-party repair shop look at it first. Sorry, I don’t have more info to give. – John

Hannah Jenkins February 10, 2014 at 4:59 am

I dropped my iphone5 in the bath tub, and it was never completely submerged. I immediately dried it off and put it in rice. The speakers were quieted, and they are working fine now. BUT now I keep getting this error message saying that the cable may not be supported, but there is no cable plugged in, and this message pops up very frequently. Will this go away when its completely dry? Or is there anything I can do?

John Carroll John Carroll February 10, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Hi Hannah – Hopefully it will go away, but if not the only recourse is Apple or a repair shop. – John

Jen February 3, 2014 at 10:01 am

I dropped my iPhone 5 in the toilet yesterday. This is the second time I’ve done this. I’m hoping that the bag of rice will do the trick again this time but it’s been in there for 24 hours now and when I try to charge it I get nothing, the screen stays black and it won’t even turn on. I’m worried because last time this happened, a piece of rice got lodged into the charger hole and I damaged my phone trying to chip it out. It worked afterwards but the charger would only charge it when it was facing a certain way (as opposed to being able to charge it with either side of the charger end facing up or down.)

Anyways my question is this- I’m paranoid that a piece of rice will get stuck in there again so I put a small piece of tape over the charger hole. Will this prevent the moisture from being removed? How can I get my phone to turn on again?

John Carroll John Carroll February 3, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Hi Jen – I doubt the tape will greatly impact the moisture removal. If the phone won’t turn on, there’s nothing that you can do, but bring it to a repair facility. you won’t get any worthwhile advice from anyone who can’t see and inspect the phone in person. Sorry I can’t be of more help. – John

Cheryl January 31, 2014 at 2:12 am

I dropped my iphone 4 in the toilet. I got it out quickly, surface dried it with a towel and it seemed fine. It turned on no problem. But it had no sound and the camera did not work. About 20 minutes later it wouldn’t even turn on. I put it in the bag of rice but I did take it out a couple of times to check it. Is there still a chance that it could work again even though I didn’t power it off and I took out of the bag of rice a few times to try to power it on?

John Carroll John Carroll February 1, 2014 at 4:53 am

Hi Cheryl – Apologies for the delayed response. Only a trained tech on-site could estimate the chances of your phone surviving. Fingers crossed, it will be okay. – John

Mari Fernandez January 25, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Also dropped my phone (iphone 5S) in the toilet on accident. Took it out immediately, took it out of its case, dried it, and placed in an unsealed container of rice (didn’t know the container should be sealed) and left it over night. (But I didn’t realize that there was a screen protector on:(!! ) I took it off in the morning. All the keys are working except two on the keypad. Will leaving it longer in the rice help?

John Carroll John Carroll January 26, 2014 at 4:07 am

No way to know. It can’t hurt.I’d give it a try.

Mari Fernandez January 26, 2014 at 11:22 am

Well, it did help!!! I am SAVED.

John Carroll John Carroll January 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Awesome.

J Dempsey January 18, 2014 at 8:15 am

Hi John,

Dropped my iPhone 5s in the toilet today. It was in there for 2 seconds max. : / It worked upon fishing it out (in fact, as I held it dripping wet, Siri asked how she could help me. VERY FUNNY SIRI!), but I didn’t think to turn it off right away. It was on in sleep mode for about 3 hours after submersion. I powered it off when I got home and it is in rice now for 24-48 hours.

I have insurance and the deductible is $169 (Asurion). My question is, if it still works normally after 48 hours in rice, am I being stupid if I hold on to the phone instead of taking advantage of my insurance? I worry that I will get a refurbed phone (I know this is silly….it’s just hard to swallow when you have a brand new one) or a different color (Equally silly. I know. I know.) I just keep wondering how many refurbed 5s’ there are out there quite yet and if I should take the chance that I’ll get a new one in the same color. Or if I hold on to the phone, will it just degrade over time?

Or is it just gross to keep it? ; )

John Carroll John Carroll January 18, 2014 at 3:33 pm

If it was dropped in anything but clean water, I’d bin it and get a refurbished one.

J Dempsey January 18, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I should clarify: there was nothing IN the toilet except for billions and billions of germs from previous users. I had literally just walked in to the bathroom. I don’t know if that’s what you mean by clean water or not….even toilet water with nothing but water in it seems pretty foul.

John Carroll John Carroll January 19, 2014 at 8:29 am

Sounds like the iPhone version of typhoid Mary :)

Katy January 17, 2014 at 1:52 am

I dropped lil water on the main sensor button of my iphone 5s,though i quickly cleared it with cloth (within 4-5 sec) but i doubt that the water got its way inside the button/phone.is this possible?? i acted upon it real fast.phn is working fine till now but do u think there could be a problem?? Pls reply fast i am terrified.i love my iphone.

John Carroll John Carroll January 17, 2014 at 2:50 am

Sounds to me like you saved it. Water issues show up pretty quickly, so I wouldn’t worry about it. – john

Katy January 17, 2014 at 3:27 am

Thank you so much.

Lynn January 10, 2014 at 1:20 am

I dropped my iphone 5 in the toilet a few days ago, took it out immediately took the otterbox off, dried of the phone and submerged it in a bag with rice. After about 36 hours I took it out of the bag of rice, turned on the phone and tried using it, but the touch screen was not fully working. Therefore I put it back in the bag of rice and left it in there another day. The next day I when I turned the phone on everything seemed to work fine except for the camera. When I went to the camera app the lenses would not open. Is there anything that I can do to make it work? I still have 3 months left with the apple care if that helps at all or if I can use an upgrade through my verizon plan for a new phone. I am not sure how much the iphone 5 would cost but I’m fine with that I do not need the 5s or 5c. Thank you very much! I just need my camera to work because I use it all the time!

John Carroll John Carroll January 10, 2014 at 4:49 am

Water damage is considered Out of Warranty, so Apple Care wouldn’t cover it. I would go into the store and ask them what your options are or upgrade with Verizon. The camera on the 5S is generally considered to be far better than the one on the 5 or 5C. If it’s just for snaps I wouldn’t worry about it. – JOHN

Vishak January 5, 2014 at 12:57 pm

My Iphone 4 fell into a bucket of water just took it back within 5 Seconds, and I click on home button i can see the display, suddenly none of the buttons are not working may be, it would automatically switch off I guess, now it is inside the rice, will it be alright?!

Vishak

John Carroll John Carroll January 5, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Unfortunately, there’s no way to tell. Just leave it in the rice per the instructions. Hopefully, it will be okay. – John

Lyndal January 3, 2014 at 6:41 am

So my mate and i were floating down the mighty Condamine river on new years day fishing for carp and having a few drinks and we had our phones in the side pocket of our esky which was floating in a kiddie pool. The pool got water in it and then so did the esky, the phones were in contact with water for about 10 mins and when i checked them they were both not working. That evening we got them in rice and undid the screen to give them a dry out then put them back in the rice. I just plugged mine in to see how it would go and it came up with a white screen with apple logo for about 4 seconds then would go black again and keeps repeating that while its on charge and then does nothing off the charger. Its a 5s, any chance you know if this is a good or bad sign?

Cheers

John Carroll John Carroll January 3, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Hi – It sounds like the phone is trying to reboot and is stuck in a loop. There’s no way to tell without looking at the phone, but it’s suffered some kind of damage and will need repair. Call Apple and ask about their Out of Warranty cost for an iPhone 5S with water damage. – John

SaraS January 6, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Wow.. that is literally exactly what happened to me (minus the river part). White screen w/ black apple, flashing.. I kept it in rice for 3 days. Hmm. So no hope? There’s no combination of buttons I can push to force the restore??

John Carroll John Carroll January 6, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Hi Sara – Unfortunately not. Best to give it to Apple or a third-party repair center and get their opinion. – John

Jenny January 2, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I dropped my iphone 5c in the toilet! I know I’m not the first one to do this. I took it out right away (it was only submerged for 4 seconds, tops) and shook out as much water as I could. I also dried it off with toilet paper as best I could. I put it in a bag of rice for about 3 hours, then plugged it in and it turned on well enough. But it won’t connect to my wifi, the top bar that usually says the carrier name and wifi instead says ‘searching,’ and the touch screen isn’t responding at all. The buttons are fine and vibrate works. What do I do? I have no money to get it repaired!

John Carroll John Carroll January 2, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Hi Jenny – The phone needs to stay in the rice for 24 – 48 hours. 3 hours isn’t enough. Read the post above. All the information you need is there. – John

leslie December 31, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Hello I dropped my I 5 in water it would not turn off, there is an apple symble and lines is this good or bad? Its in rice now.

John Carroll John Carroll January 1, 2014 at 8:39 am

Unfortunately, there’s no way to tell. Just leave it in the rice per the instructions. Hopefully, it will be okay. Happy New Year – John

Zulfadli Rosli December 31, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Hi, I accidentally dropped my iphone 5 in a toilet bowl this morning, and hardly blowing and off the water from the phone and get to work, and it’s almost 8 hours I just put my iphone in a plastic bag, and read solutions for it online and decided to put it in rice. hope everything just find. And one more thing, I’m looking for silica at home too. Wish me luck…

John Carroll John Carroll January 1, 2014 at 8:38 am

Good Luck and hopefully a Happy New Year – John

Rhianna December 26, 2013 at 11:02 am

I dropped my phone in the water at the beach and it was working for a bit and then turned off but i didn’t get my phone to rice until I got a home about an hour after i dropped my phone in the water. do you think it will still work?

John Carroll John Carroll December 26, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Hi Rhianna – Unfortunately, there’s no way to know. Salt water is harder on electronics than fresh water. hopefully you’ll get lucky. If not, then look at the Out Of Warranty information in the post. – john

Rebecca December 19, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I found an iPhone 5 on a beach it was in a plastic bag that had some water and sand in it, i’ve put it in a bag of rice already but i was wondering if there is still some way that the owners information can be collected from the sim card?

John Carroll John Carroll December 20, 2013 at 12:49 am

Hi Rebecca

You would have to bring the SIM card to AT&T and Verizon, if there are no identifying marks for a carrier on it.

John C

Jennifer December 11, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Hi John!
I dropped my iphone5 into the toilet and got it out, dried it. I ran back to my dorm (It was during a class break) and put it in a bag of rice (took me about 10 mins from the toilet to the rice bag). I checked on it 30 mins later, and the screen was BRIGHT RED and the device was really hot! I realized that I had never turned it off!! So I immediately turned it off by holding down the power button & home button.
I’m planning on leaving it in the rice for a good 24~36 hours. I can’t find anything on the internet where someone has a similar problem as me (bright red screen and overheating iphone).
Do you think I have a chance..?

John Carroll John Carroll December 12, 2013 at 2:32 am

Hi Jennifer – Unfortunately, there’s no way to diagnose a problem like this based on a description. A repair shop would need to look at it to give you any definitive answers. My phone has overheated several times and been fine. Sorry, I can’t be of more help. – John

Eve December 6, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Hi John – yesterday I accidentally dropped my phone in the toilet. I dried it and shook as much water as I could out of it. After, I put it in a bowl of rice and it’s been about 24 hours. The phone won’t turn on at all. The bottom, where the charger goes, has a red line inside. My phone is an iPhone 4. Is my phone damaged or can it be fixed?

John Carroll John Carroll December 7, 2013 at 2:03 am

Hey Eve – Sorry that this happened. Only a repair shop, or Apple could tell, but it does sound like the phone is damaged.

Have a look at the Out of Warranty replacement program above in the post.

Apple don’t fix way iPhones, they simply replace them. The cost depends on the phone they’re replacing.

If you take it to a third-party repair shop they may be able to fix it, but they can’t reset the water sensors. That may impact the phones work if you ever try to sell.

Best of luck

John

Zantiago November 17, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Hello,
Last night my wife dropped her iphone 5 in the toilet. She quickly got it out of the toilet and started drying it with a towel. After about 5 minutes we found some rice at my friends house and we put it in there over night. We never turned it off or anything….i advised her to just leave it alone. This morning I took it out of the rice container and the screen is non responsive (touch functionality does not work) and flickering. Besides that, it seems that screen has no apparent damage. I tried restarting the phone (holding the home and wake button at the same time) and the problem is still present. I returned it to the rice container just in case. Can I deduce that if this problem is still there after a few days in the rice, that replacing the screen will help? Or can another part of the phone cause this? I am open to any advice. Thanks for your help in advance.

John Carroll John Carroll November 18, 2013 at 5:00 am

Hi – Unfortunately, there’s no way to diagnose a problem like this based on a description. A repair shop would need to look at it to give you any definitive answers. Sorry, I can’t be of more help. – John

Leyla November 16, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Hi Kim did it work again? Ive had similar situation :(

Kim October 25, 2013 at 10:50 am

I dropped my iphone in water but it wasn’t fully submerged. I pulled it out as fast as possible took off my otterbox dreys it and put it in rice. I waited 24 hours for it to dry out before I took it out. It worked fine for the first 24 hours now my screen is twitching and auto adjusting. It keeps magnifying the pages and the whole screen shakes uncontrollably. I put it back in rice for another 24 hours is it going to be okay?

John Carroll John Carroll October 25, 2013 at 11:47 am

Hi Kim – Unfortunately no-one can predict based on a given set of circumstances if a water damaged iPhone will work again. You’re doing the right thing. Hopefully it will work again. – John