Apple unveiled the iPhone 7 yesterday.
As expected, it’s wafer thin, outrageously sexy and filled with amazing new features.
Should you buy it?
If you own an iPhone 5S or lower, my advice is to upgrade.
Don’t wait because your current iPhone works fine. Technology is constantly changing.
If you wait, you won’t end up a bit behind the curve… you’ll be completely abandoned.
iPhone 7 & iPhone 7 Plus
Here’s a look at what’s new:
A10 Fusion Processor – Most powerful chip ever in a smartphone:
- 64bit four-core processor.
- 2 cores are high performance. 40% faster than the A9 and 200% faster than the A8.
- 2 cores are high efficiency using 1/5th the power of the high performance cores.
- Apple designed performance controller allocates tasks among cores to get either maximum performance or maximum battery life.
- 6 core graphics chip – 50% faster than the A9 and 300% faster than the A8.
- Processor performance will allow new Apps to be created that older iPhones could not run.
- Battery Life – Longest battery life ever for an iPhone.
New Design – Gloss jet black design using technology that allows a seamless surface between the glass screen and the back of the phone.
Retina HD Display – 25% brighter and displays wide color gamut (cinema standard).
Home Button – Still used to access multitasking, Siri, Apple Pay and Touch ID. Redesign is more reliable, more responsive and customizable. It is now pressure sensitive, solid state and provides touch feedback during certain actions.
Water and Dust Resistant – New protective seals and adhesives allow the iPhone 7 to be splash-proof. Splash-proof, not water-proof so don’t go tossing it in the ocean.
Camera – The iPhone 7 camera is completely re-designed:
- Includes an optical image stabilizer. I can personally testify that this works really, really well.
- Aperture that lets in 50% more light
- New 6 element lens.
- New 12 megapixel sensor that’s 60% faster and 30% more efficient.
- Quad LED Tru Tone flash creates 50% more light.
- Flash flicker sensor senses the flicker of artificial lighting and compensates for it.
- Apple designed image signal processor has twice the processing power of the previous version. The ISP recognizes image contents, sets exposure, focus and white balance, captures cinema standard wide color, tone mapping, noise reduction and if needed will fuse several images. 100 billion operations every time you take a picture.
- Live Photos – Now employs image stabilization and allows third party capture and editing.
- RAW files can now be taken and edited from the iPhone.
- 7 megapixel Facetime HD camera with image stabilization and wide color capture.
The iPhone 7 has 1 camera, but the iPhone 7 Plus now has 2 x 12 megapixel cameras:
- One standard wide angle lens and one telephoto lens with 2X optical zoom.
- Using the new lens and applying digital zoom you can go from 5X to 10X
- Using both cameras it is now possible to take photos that have shallow depth-of-field. The foreground object is pin sharp while the background remains out of focus. Creates an almost 3D feel. The iPhone 7 plus can even provide a live preview of the picture. This is usually only available on high end DSLR cameras. This feature will arrive as a free software update for iPhone 7 Plus users later this year.
Speakers – For the first time the iPhone has stereo speakers. One at the bottom and one at the top. 2X volume. Increased dynamic range.
Headphone Port – Headphone port is gone. Apple Earpods now connect using the Lightning port. This way you get direct digital audio. Lightning ports can also transmit power and control commands. A Lightning to analog headphone adaptor will be included with each iPhone.
Wireless – See AirPods below.
And what does all this cost…
iPhone carriers offer a variety of monthly plans or you can purchase the phone outright.
These plans are for hardware only and have nothing to do with your monthly wireless plan.
When you look at an iPhone payment plan you need to consider:
- Term of commitment.
- Cost per month incl. taxes
- Does the plan have Applecare.
- What are the early cancellation penalties.
- After the commitment ends, who owns the iPhone.
- Do I automatically upgrade to a new iPhone each time one is released.
- If the plan provides a new iPhone upgrade is the transition immediate or is there a waiting period.
Monthly plans are different for each carrier. Look for details on your carrier’s site or in the Apple store.
Most buyers will opt for a monthly payment plan, but here’s a look at the actual price of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 plus.
iPhone 7 – 32mb – $649
iPhone 7 – 128mb – $749
iPhone 7 – 256mb – $849
iPhone 7 Plus – 32mb – $769
iPhone 7 Plus – 128mb – $869
iPhone 7 Plus – 256mb -$969
Preorders begin: Friday, September 9th – 12:00 am
Release date: Friday, September 16th
Available Colors: Jet Black, Black with Black Logo, Gold, Silver, and Rose Gold.
The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus also get a storage bump to 32gb or 128gb. Available for preorder on Friday, September 9th.
Available as a download for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch on Tuesday, September 13th.
You can read about the new features and hardware requirements here – iOS 10. Awesome… Though This 10 Lacks Humor And Bo Derek
Note that all iOS 10 feature will not be available on some older iPhones.
If you do own an older iPhone you need to consider that an upgrade to iOS 10 may cause a slowdown in performance.
And… don’t forget to backup before you upgrade.
Completely new product with groundbreaking design:
- Wireless earphones.
- Use new W1 chip that delivers high quality sound while retaining a consistent connection.
- Infra red sensors detect when the AirPods are in your ears so they only play when you are ready to listen.
- Moves seamlessly between devices so you instantly hear sound from the device you are using.
- Double tap activates Siri.
- When you speak, voice pickup is improved by several noise cancelling technologies.
- One step setup that covers all your devices.
- 5 hours battery life per charge.
- Compact case carries 24 hours of battery life for quick recharging.
Release date: Available late October.
Apple Watch – Series 2
What can I say. I just can’t get excited about the Apple Watch.
When it get’s thinner and stays turned on all the time, I’ll write about it.
Did I mention it costs too much?
Watch The Event
You can watch the Apple Keynote on their site at – Apple Special Event or just check it out on your Apple TV.
Is That It?
The goody bag is not completely empty.
Expect a refresh of almost the entire Mac line in October.
All indicators are that the upgrades and new features will make the wait worthwhile.
As soon as the new models hit the market, you’ll get the information here.
What About That Other Post
I promised a post on wireless lighting about a month ago and was almost finished writing it when Apple released the iPhone 7 and ruined everything. Fingers crossed it should post on Thursday, September 22nd.
Until then, have a great weekend.
If you live in Los Angeles and need help with your Mac, iPad or iPhone… or a printer, wireless network, backup problem, malware nightmare, etc,. give us a call at 310-621 5679
We also provide in home training on any Apple product. Give us a call at 310-621-5679 for more information on what you can expect from a session.
I come direct to you. That’s as stress-free as it gets.