Forget Where You Parked?
I have a terrible memory and no sense of direction.* I get lost in department stores, my mind goes blank when I’m handed a map and I forget where I parked my car on an almost daily basis.
I recently discovered a feature in Apple Maps that has solved the lost problem.
Setup is simple:
- Make sure your iPhone is paired to Bluetooth in your car. This is already in place if you listen to music from your iPhone as you drive.
- On the iPhone go to Settings. Scroll down to Privacy and make sure Location Services is turned on.
- On the iPhone go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Scroll down to System Services, then scroll down to Signifigant Locations and make sure this is turned On.
- On the iPhone go to Settings. Scroll down to Maps. At the bottom make sure that Show Parked Location is toggled On.
How it works is quite clever. The moment you walk away from your car, the bluetooth connection is severed and Maps marks that location as your Parked Car.
Ready to go home:
- Open Maps.
- Tap the Search field. Choose Parked Car.
- Tap directions. Choose Walk.
- Tap Go and follow the directions to your car.
If you find yourself wandering around the parking lot at the Century City Mall, no feature on the iPhone will help locate your vehicle. I will probably be easier to buy a new car.
Have a good week.
*These qualities are not needed to provide professional IT service.