There’s never been an easy way to schedule emails on a Mac.
Those days are finally over.
SendLater, an Apple mail plug-in, is simple to use, has great features, and works flawlessly.
Why Schedule An Email?
- You need emails to reach people in the morning, but the recipients live in different time zones… and you don’t enjoy getting up at 4:00am
- You want to send an email blast at at a time when you won’t be there to press send.
- You forget birthdays and anniversaries? With a pre-timed email you appear considerate 🙂
- Would you like to leave work early? Schedule an email to send at the end of the day and it looks like your still hammering away.
If you think hard enough, you’ll find a reason.
How Do I Get Send Later
Sendlater is made by Chungwasoft and and can be downloaded for free here – http://www.chungwasoft.com/sendlater
The free plug-in not crippled in any way. It simply makes you view a request to purchase as you schedule an email.
This lets you accurately test the software to make sure it meets your needs.
Can Anyone Install SendLater?
SendLater works on Macs that are using OS X 10.7 or later.
You can check your version of OS X, by clicking on the black Apple in the top-left hand corner and choosing About this Mac.
How Do I Install SendLater?
- Quit Apple Mail. Either go to Mail in the Menu Bar and choose Quit Mail, or use the keystroke shortcut Command Q.
- Download the free version of SendLater here – http://www.chungwasoft.com/sendlater.
- Go to the Finder and locate your Downloads folder.
- Inside, you’ll find the SendLater Installer.
- Double click the Installer package.
- Follow the installation instructions.
- After installing you can re-open Apple Mail.
How Do I Use Send Later?
Create a new blank email.
You’ll notice a new button in the top left-hand corner of the email toolbar to the right of the Send button. It looks like the Send button, but there is a clock attached to the paper airplane icon.
Compose your email. You can send it to single or multiple recipients.
Click the SendLater button. A menu box offers 3 options:
- Special Date – Select from a drop-down menu: Today, Tomorrow or Next Working Day. Set the send time using the clock. Clicking the small calendar icon reveals a clock. Move the hour or minute hands to set the send time.
- Time Distance – Set the Number and choose from a drop-down menu: Minutes From Now, Hours From Now, or Days From Now.
- Time And Date – Set the time and date you wish to send the email. Clicking the small calendar icon reveals a calendar and a clock that you can use to set the date and send time.
- When you are ready, click the Send Later button.
- The email goes into your Outbox and remains there until the send time is reached.
Anything Else I Need to Know?
In order for SendLater to work:
- Your Mac must be plugged in. SandLater will work on battery power, but it’s safer if your Mac is plugged in.
- Your Mac display can go to sleep and the scheduled email will be sent.
- If your computer goes to sleep, your scheduled email will not be sent. See workaround below.
Workaround For Problem When Mac Goes To Sleep
Applications like SendLater are meant to be able to wake your computer and complete a scheduled task at a set time.
Sadly… it doesn’t work. It’s something Apple needs to fix, but don’t seem bothered by.
The workaround is to stop your Mac from going to sleep.
It’s not a big deal, so don’t worry about wearing out your computer. Just don’t schedule emails to send weeks into the future.
- Make sure your Mac is plugged in.
- Go to the Black Apple, and chose System Preferences.
- Click on the Energy Saver button
- Select the Power Adapter tab and check the button labelled Wake for network access.
- Move the Display Sleep slider to whatever time you wish. This has no effect on SendLater.
- Move the Computer Sleep slider all the way to the end until it reaches Never.
- A box will pop up with a warning that your computer will use more energy with the new settings.
- Click OK.
- Close System Preferences.
How Much Does SendLater Cost?
On the Chungwa website the price for SendLater is quoted in Euros.
Click the Pricing and Store button, and you are taken to the Chumgwa Store. Scroll to the bottom and you can buy SendLater at the US price of $9.95.
It’s worth every penny.
Have a good week 🙂
Live in Los Angeles County and need Mac, iPad. or iPhone support, repair, training… or just want some questions answered? Call me at 310-621-5679. I come direct to you. That’s as stress-free as it gets. Not an L.A. resident? Don’t worry. No Problem Mac provides training and support statewide – No Problem Mac Phone Support
%Thanks for this great info. I would need a precision though: Does the Mail app needs to be open for Sendlater to work or is this plug-in completely based on a scheduled task?
In tests I’ve run, Mail needs to be open. If you are going to use this when you are away, I would test to see if it will wake the Mac from sleep to send your email.
You could also check out the community forum and FAQ on the developer’s site – http://www.chungwasoft.com
If you find out anything interesting and you have the time, leave a comment. Thanks for reading – John