Even if you don’t have a website, it’s a good idea to buy the domain name (web address) of either your name or your business name.
- It’s what people remember.
- If you don’t own it, anyone who types in that name may be directed to another site.
- The .com version of a domain always sells first. You may be left with the .org or .net version. This doesn’t look professional.
- If your domain name is taken, you may have to come up with some cheesy hybrid name, e.g.; www.johnsmithactor.com.
- Search Engine Optimization is a lot easier if you own the right domains.
- If you are forced to buy a domain from a private party, it may cost a considerable amount of money.
- An available domain name costs less than $10 a year to own.
- If you wait, it’ll be gone.
A lot of companies selling domain names on the internet offer all kinds of extras you do not need.
As a simple guide – If you’re paying more than $12.00 – $15.00, you’re being ripped off.
I like to buy domains through Google Domains. Google sub-contract the work to other vendors, but it’s a pretty straightforward process.