We’ve already covered how to recover when a single application freezes, but what do you do when your entire computer freezes? The solution is a Force Shutdown. How Do I Know My Mac Is Frozen:
- You get the spinning beach ball-of-death, it won’t go away, and you cannot access normal computer functions.
- The cursor freezes or disappears.
- Several programs are not responsive.
- The Finder crashes and cannot be relaunched successfully.
- A normal shutdown does not work.
- On your Mac, hold the power button down for approximately 5 seconds. The screen will go black, and you’ll feel the Mac shutdown as all mechanical activity ceases.
- Now, press the power button once and the Mac should re-boot normally.