Wi-Fi As You Fly
Airport And In-Flight Wi-Fi Problems
Although the major carriers fly thousands of passengers every day, they appear incapable of providing decent food, leg room that allows blood flow to the feet and a stable Wi-Fi signal.
We primarily provide local Mac support in Los Angeles, but we often get calls from Mac users needing help in other states and in other countries.
A client recently called from an airport lounge in Newark, New Jersey. Other passengers around him could log onto Wi-Fi, but his Mac wouldn’t connect.
After several hit and miss ideas… we created a new Wi-Fi profile.
If you run into problems, it’s straightforward and worth a try
Steps To Create A New Wi-Fi Profile
- Go to the Wi-Fi symbol on the top-right hand side of the Menu bar.
- Click it and choose ‘Turn Wi-Fi Off’
- Click it again and choose ‘Open Network Preferences’
- The Network tab opens.
- On the left-hand side ensure the blue box is on ‘Wi-Fi’ or’ Searching’.
- Click on the ‘Location’ drop-down box and choose ‘Edit Locations…’
- A box pops up. Click the + button in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Name this new location ‘Airport’.
- Click ‘Done’.
- Click the red button in the top-left hand corner of ‘Network Preferences’ box to close it.
- You will be asked to apply changes, Click ‘Apply‘.
- Go to the Wi-Fi symbol on the top-right hand side of the Menu bar and choose ‘Open Network Preferences’
- At the top of the Network Preferences box under ‘Location’ make sure ‘Airport’ is selected in the drop-down menu.
- Toggle ‘Turn Wi-Fi On’ to make a connection. You may have to do this a few times before you get a green light confirming you are online.
If This Doesn’t Work?
Call the flight attendant and ask for help. They may need to reboot the router. If your pleas go unheard, ask for the senior flight attendant on board and explain what is happening. Remember, to explain that you have gotten wi-fi on this carrier before . . . or they are liable to blame your Mac.
If you have experiences with in-flight or airport wi-fi or ideas you would like to share, please leave a comment below.
Have a good week