Safari was introduced 12 years ago. That’s a long time for a piece of software.
We’ve seen it evolve and expand, yet one feature is still missing; the ability to alphabetize bookmarks.
Why Apple refuse to include this remains a mystery.
In the past, we’ve has to resort to tricks to achieve our alphabetizing goal – How To… Alphabetize Bookmarks In Safari
Finally, a more elegant solution has arrived – SafariSort
How It Works
- Download SafariSort. It’s free, but feel free to donate if you like the software.
- Check your Downloads folder and you’ll find a file called SafariSort.dmg.
- Double click this file and agree to the GNU General Public License.
- Drag SafariSort to the Applications folder.
- Go to the Applications folder. Double click the SafariSort application to open it.
- SafariSort provides 3 options:
- Alphabetize – Sorts Bookmarks and Folders from A-Z.
- Folders First – Sorts Bookmarks and Folders from A-Z, leaving Folders on top.
- Quit – Get the hell out of there 🙂
What If I Don’t Like The Results?
SafariSort makes a backup of your existing bookmarks prior to sorting, so you can easily revert to your saved backup file.
The restore process is not for the faint of heart, but if you follow the instructions you’ll be fine.
- Go to the Finder. Click on Go in the toolbar menu.
- Hold the option key down and Library will appear in the list. Choose Library.
- Inside Library, go to the Safari folder.
- Inside the Safari folder locate the bookmark files. The backup file is named “Bookmarks.plist_xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx.”
- Delete the file name “Bookmarks.plist.”
- Rename the “Bookmarks.plist_xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx” file to Bookmarks.plist
Where once was chaos, now there is order.
Have a great weekend..
Live in Los Angeles County and need Mac, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV or Apple Watch support or personal training?
Call me at 310-621-5679. I come direct to you. That’s as stress-free as it gets.
Not an L.A. resident? Don’t worry. No Problem Mac provides remote training and support statewide and further afield… our most remote client lives in the British Virgin Islands 🙂