The Bookmarks Bar is for commonly used links that you want quick access to:
- News – MSNBC, CNN, NYT, etc,.
- Social Media Sites – Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, etc,.
- Financial Sites – Bank account, stock prices, currency exchange, etc,.
- Hobby Pages – Technology, Crafts, Fashion, etc,.
- Online To Do List – Toodle Do, Remember The Milk, etc,.
- Navigation Sites – Google Maps, Mapquest, etc,.
In Safari, it’s the thin strip under the white Address and Search field.
If it doesn’t show in Safari:
- Go to the View Menu.
- Choose Show Bookmarks Bar.
The Bookmarks Bar should now be visible.
Adding Bookmarks To The Toolbar
As the Bookmarks Bar is relatively small, it can only show a limited number of bookmarks.
Choose Carefully – Only use the Bookmarks Bar for websites you visit often. All other bookmarks should be put in in the standard Bookmarks Menu. We’ll cover this in a later post.
Shorten Site Names – On the Bookmarks Bar, room is at a premium. Shorten the names of links wherever possible.
To Add A Bookmark
- Open Safari.
- Find a page you would like to add to the Bookmarks Mar.
- In the Bookmarks menu choose Add Bookmark… or press Command D.
- From the drop-down menu Add this Page To, scroll to select Bookmarks Bar.
- Overwrite the page name with a shorter title, e.g; if the page is named Times Skimmer by The New York Times, abbreviate it to NYT.
- Click Add.
The bookmark is added to the front of the Bookmarks Bar.
If you’d like to change it’s position, click and drag the link to a different place on the Bookmarks Bar.
Adding Folders To The Toolbar
You can place several links inside a folder on the Bookmarks Bar,
When you click on that folder it will show a drop-down menu of these links and you can choose the link you want.
- Open Safari.
- Go to Bookmarks in the Menu Bar. Choose Add Bookmarks Folder.
- Safari instantly changes to the Bookmarks page.
- On the left-hand side, under Bookmarks, is a new Untitled Folder.
- Type in a name for the folder.
- Under Collections, click Bookmarks Bar. The Bookmarks Bar library opens in a window on the right.
- Now click and drag your folder into Bookmarks Bar library.
- If you make a mistake, don’t panic. Press Command Z to undo the last command.
- You can now place existing bookmarks in this folder. Click and drag the bookmarks over the folder until it darkens and then drop them in.
To add a new bookmark to this folder, follow the instructions in To Add A Bookmark above.
With links in a folder on the Bookmarks Bar, you can open these links individually or choose the last option in the drop-down menu and open all links simultaneously in separate tabs.
All browsers have a Bookmarks Bar. Although, they may work differently the same organizational principles apply.
Have an excellent week.
If you’d like to learn more about Safari check out:
If you have questions, please use the Comments section below.